Home
  Gallery
  Contact

History

 




Tranquebar, "The Queen of the Coromandal Coast" has rich traditions and a glorious past. It is the symbol of the Portuguese - Danish - French - English heritage. The first Protestant Christian Missionaries, BartholomaeusZiegenbalg and Heinrich Pluetschau; sent by the Danish King Frederick IV to preach the Gospels, landed on the shores of Tranquebar on 9th July 1706 A.D. and laid the foundation of Protestant Christian Churches in India. The Tamil Evangelical Lutheran Church was thus born in 1919 A. D. with ahistoric commitment to serve the cause of the poor, the downtrodden and the marginalized sections of the Tamil Society by establishing Churches, Schools, Homes and Hospitals. A new era dawned as tens and hundreds of native people embraced Lutheran Faith due to the selfless, zealous and dedicated services of the Lutheran Missionaries. The New Jerusalem Church was built in 1718 A.D. at Tranquebar followed by the construction of the Bethlehem Church at Porayar. The Tranquebar Bishop Manikam Lutheran College is situated near the church campus and this geographical proximity very much symbolises the close association of the Church and the College reflecting the synthesis of divine and human values

 

1972 - An Important Landmark

The 19th June 1972 is an important landmark in the annals of Tamil Evangelical Lutheran Church. Yes! a glorious institution of higher learning, Tranquebar Bishop Manikam Lutheran College came into existence on that day. The long cherished vision of the church was translated into reality with the establishment of this college. Tranquebar- Porayar had been the most backward rural area on 12 the eastern coast of TamilNadu predominantly inhabited by the Dalits, Fishermen and other backward communities who wallowed in utter poverty, illiteracy and social inequality. Hence the church accorded top priority to teaching ministry as part of their programme to uplift these oppressed and suppressed sections of the society and established primary, secondary and industrial schools. Subsequently the church realised the need for the establishment of a centre for higher learning. Hence the church rightly chose Porayar, a rural hamlet in the erstwhile Thanjavur District for starting its first highereducational institution.

Late Rt. Rev. Dr. R. B. Manikam was the first Indian Bishop of the church. The college was named after him to honour his memory.

   

Government Approval of the College

The Government of Tamilnadu approved the establishment of this college vide its Government Order No. 1888, Education Department dated 29. 11. 1972 and in the proceedings of the Director of Collegiate Education, RC No. 47187 / 52 / 71 dated 5. 11. 1972. The College now offers thirteen Under-Graduate, eleven Post-Graduate, One PG Diploma Program, besides research programmers leading to M.Phil and Ph.D.,

The College has already established a great reputation for its high academic standards and attracts students from all over India and abroad. The college has been accredited with B+ Status by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) on 1st Oct. 2002.