Tranquebar, “The Queen of the Coromandal Coast” has rich traditions and a glorious past. It is the symbol of the Portuguese- Danish - French - English heritage. The fi rst Protestant ChristianMissionaries, Bartholomaeus Ziegenbalg and Heinrich Pluetschau;sent by the Danish King Frederick IV to preach the Gospels, landed on the shores of Tranquebar on 9th July 1706 A.D. and laid the foundation of Protestant Christian Churches in India. The Tamil Evangelical Lutheran Church was thus born in 1919 A. D. with a historic commitment to serve the cause of the poor, the downtrodden and the marginalized sections of the Tamil Society by establishing Churches, Schools, Homes and Hospitals. A new era dawned as tens and hundreds of native people embraced Lutheran Faith due to the selfl ess, zealous and dedicated services of the Lutheran Missionaries. The New Jerusalem Church was built in 1718 A.D. at Tranquebar followed by the construction of the Bethlehem Church at Porayar. The Tranquebar Bishop Manikam Lutheran College is situated near the church campus and this geographical proximity very much symbolises the close association of the Church and the College refl ecting the synthesis of divine and human values.